How To Stay Motivated To Work Out in Winter

07:00:00




I know as the days have got colder, I have felt less and less inclined to work out. The Great British weather is unpredictable and I haven’t really wanted to jog in the rain or cycle in the frost, but for me sport and exercise is what helps me sleep better, because I have a sleep disorder and that helps me tire it out, and as a dancer and cheerleader it also very important to keep fit. We can't use Winter as an excuse, in some shops it's been Christmas since the end of July. So I thought that a round of inspiration and tips were in order.

Tips  

1. Go to the gym

If it’s too cold to work out outside, then a nice warm gym is another viable option. You can do a variety of different types of exercise, whether it’ll cardio or weight training. So get your gym membership today, so you can still work out when the weather is not on your side.

2. Join Boxing or MMA

Boxing and Martial Arts is a great, fun way to keep fit and let your frustrations out and although it is extremely intense, I know a lot of people who look forward to going every session. And if it’s good enough for Demi Lovato and Gigi Hadid, then it must be good enough for us.

3. Find your Winter Sport

If you make a commitment to any sports team or club, then working out will just become part of your daily or weekly routine and you will be working out, enjoying yourself, making friends and you won’t give up as you have a support network and other people relying on you.

4. Have Someone to Work Out With

Having a work out partner helps a lot. I’m really competitive, and I hate losing so having someone there pushes me harder and I don’t want to let them down. And they are a boost when I am tired or feel like giving up halfway through. [Check out my previous exercise buddy, Dara ‘Daza Wilson at backofthenetsouth.com]

5. Work Out at Home

If you feel too tired or too lazy to go out and go somewhere, you can also workout in the comfort of your own home.

6. Listen to Music

Silence bothers me, whereas music breaks up the monotony of the workout and helps me work out for longer. Putting on my favorite workout tracks, almost lets me forget the weather. And different paces and intensity tracks can easily help you to control your workout.

7. Change it Up

Doing the same thing every day can be BORING and make you want to take a day (or a few) off. Changing up your routine can keep it interesting and help you to achieve better results.

8. Think about the Summer Body/Have a Goal

If you keep on working at it, all through winter, by the time everyone is starting to worry about achieving their perfect summer body, you will already be there. If you have a goal, you are more likely to work harder to achieve it and not give up.
Work now, achieve first, laugh later.

9. Incorporate Working Out into Your Normal Routine

For example, I can’t attend weightlifting on a Friday because of Cheer, so I carry a very heavy bag around and do reps when I have the time.

10. Schedule in Workouts

I know, that I always have times where I sit down and doing nothing and hours seems to go by. So if you schedule in workouts at this time then you are replacing the idleness with something useful.

11. Realize that You can Workout While Watching TV

Not all workouts are strenuous and some you can very easily do while watching TV or Netflix (etc.) such as flexibility or you can invest in a workout machine so while you’re having down time you are still working out.

12. Invest in some Equipment

You don’t always want to leave the house to work out, so by having your own equipment, you can work out whenever you want.

13. Youtube can be Your Best Friend

There are so many good workouts, for the gym and at home, on Youtube. I used to always do the ballet workouts, which are so good by the way, but you can also take different types of classes.

14. Surround Yourself with your Motivation and Inspiration

Put up posters and inspirational quotes around your house and on your phone and maybe even get a T-Shirt just to inspire you on those bad days.

15. Follow some Exercise Instagram Accounts

I recommend:

A photo posted by TwoBadBodies (@twobadbodies) on


16. Get an Exercise DVD

I, personally, have MANY. Personal favorites of mine are the Zumba ones (although you could go to a class, with the DVD the class comes to me.) and Davina DVDs is a classic.

17. Change Your Lifestyle Choices


Instead of driving everywhere you can easily change your lifestyle by cycling, walking or even catch the bus or train, there’s no work out like daily running for the bus.

So, I hope you found these tips helpful and act on a few. Working out doesn't have to be stressful and you don't have to be a 'certain type of person' to do it. Take a chance. Find your way of working out and have fun.

Charlz x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Flickr Images